Great staff are critical to our success as business owners and managers, but finding and keeping the right people is an ongoing challenge for many businesses.
Unfortunately we can't conjure appropriately trained staff out of the air for our clients and subscribers, but we can provide advice to make the recruitment process as successful as possible.
In this video I outline our 7 'golden rules' for successful hiring.
What to do before you interview
Please keep in mind these 'golden rules' are largely related to the sourcing and interviewing process. There are some key steps you should take before you get to this stage.
As we've explained in previous blogs and videos, you need to put some time and effort in before you interview to do the following:
- understand the role you are recruiting for and document the outcomes you want
- create a checklist of skills, capabilities and experience needed to achieve those outcomes
- identify the non-negotiable critical attributes or strengths needed in potential candidates.
Once those tasks are ticked off you can get down to following our 7 golden rules for a successful hire. You can download the cheat sheet for more detail regarding actions you can take while following our tips.
Staff recruitment and management resources
The JPAbusiness team has created a number of free resources to help you find and keep great staff:
- Professional Development Plan template
- Staff Training Plan template
- How to get good staff and keep them eBook
- Managing staff for high performance eBook
- Training and professional development advice eBook
If you would like advice regarding hiring and managing staff, contact the JPAbusiness team on 02 6360 0360 (Orange) or 02 9893 1803 (Parramatta) for a confidential, initial discussion.
James Price has over 30 years' experience in providing strategic, commercial and financial advice to Australian and international business clients. James' blogs provide business advice for aspiring and current small to mid-sized business owners, operators and managers.